This cake is a long time family favourite from the Family Circle Favourite Cake Recipes book.
Recently, we have adapted the Chocolate Fudge Cake to be Gluten Free and here is the recipe.
- 125gm butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 2/3 cup cocoa
- 1/2 cup hot water
- 2 teaspoons vinegar
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cups gluten free plain flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- pinch salt
- 125gm butter
- 2 1/2 cups icing sugar, sifted
- 3 tablespoons cocoa
- 3 tablespoons hot water
- Preheat oven to 160’C and prepare two 20cm round cake tins.
- Beat butter until light and creamy. Add sugar, eggs and vanilla and beat until light and fluffy.
- Mix cocoa with hot water to form a paste and gradually add to the cake mixture.
- Combine milk and vinegar to sour.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and salt. Add to cake mixture alternately with sour milk. Stir to combine.
- Pour mixture evenly between the two prepared cake tins and bake for approximatley 30 minutes or until cooked through. Allow the cakes to cool in their tins for ten minutes and turn onto racks allowing to cool completely.
- Whilst the cakes are baking, prepare the icing by beating butter until light and creamy.
- Mix cocoa with hot water to form a paste and add to the butter alternately with the icing sugar.
- Cover the cake with the icing, including a layer between the two cakes.
- 1 packet rocket leaf salad mix
- 100gm Camembert cheese, small wedges
- handful cranberries
- 2 pears, cubed
- handful walnuts, chopped
1. Combine all ingredients and serve as an entree or salad
One of my favourite places to stay for a holiday to relax and rejuvenate is the Shangri-La Hotel, Cairns.
Here are my reasons:
1. Location, Location, Location
The Shangri-La Hotel is situated at the Marina with picturesque ocean views. The hotel is also central to the town main centre with an easy walk to shops and restaurants.
2. Horizon Club
A lovely place to relax morning, afternoon and evening with the friendliest staff. A scrumptious selection of food is offered daily for breakfast and canapés along with a full bar daily from 5 – 7pm. The Horizon Club is well worth including in your stay.
3. Swimming Pool
The hotel has a beautiful large swimming pool with plenty of chairs and day beds to relax by the pool.
4. Restaurants with water views
There are many restaurants in Cairns and my favourite are Dundee’s, Salt House, Waterbar & Grill and North Bar & Kitchen.
OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA
OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA
5. Activities and Sightseeing
Helicopter ride to the Great Barrier Reef
A short stroll from the hotel will have you at GBR Helicopter for a scenic aerial ride over the Great Barrier Reef. The helicopter ride goes around Green Island with a close look over the Great Barrier Reef. During the ride we spotted a stingray and a turtle. I was amazed at how beautiful and picturesque the Great Barrier Reef truly is. GBR Helicopters staff are very professional, friendly and courteous and I look forward to my next helicopter ride with GBR Helicopters at Port Douglas.
Day trip to Palm Cove
Palm Cove is a 50 minute bus trip from the main centre at Cairns and is a great spot for swimming in the ocean, beautiful beach walks and shopping.
Cairns Botanical Gardens
A taxi driver recommended the Botanical Gardens as a great place to visit whilst in Cairns. I was certainly glad I followed his advice. The butterfly enclosure was lots of fun and the orchids were spectacular.
Other activities include jet skis, jet boat rides and Great Barrier Reef Cruises.
The Shangri-La Hotel, Cairns is a wonderful place to visit and I look forward to returning with my Drone http://www.droning4all.com.